Some of the many unaddressed concerns about the proposed hydro-electric generating station at the Bala Falls are here.
To summarize what has happened so far:
- October 2009 the proponent issued their environmental screening report.
- November 2009 we detailed many unaddressed issues (as did many members of the public).
- March 2011, the Director of the Environmental Assessment and Approvals Branch of the Ministry of the Environment denied all the requests that this project be elevated. The MoE also sent a letter to the proponent which included the agreement which would require the proposed station to use a cycled operation.
- March 2011 we sent our concerns about cycling operation to Fisheries and Oceans Canada. We received a response that they are working on a response.
- April 2011, we requested that the Minister of the Environment review the Director’s decision. The Township of Muskoka Lakes also sent in a request (as did many members of the public). The Moon River Property Owners’ Association also sent in a request, this included the 156 questions gathered by the Township in response to the proponent’s statement that they would only accept written questions (the proponent has not yet responded).
- June 2011, due to additional information received, we detailed some of our unaddressed concerns about the cycling operation.